Monday 7 May 2012

A Birthday treat

As today was my Birthday and a Bank holiday, I decided to take a break form my revision for my exams so I could cycle down and see some good local birds. There were reports of some good waders near Little Baddow Bridge so off I went. A quick stop off at Baddow meads produced some whitethroats and Reed bunting but the floods had now gone and with them the chance of any waders.
So off I cycled to Little Baddow Bridge which proved to be a very difficult cycle. But it was worth it. When I arrived, the first bird I saw was a shelduck a good local bird. This looks promising, and it only got better. A scan of the water grasses produced some cracking birds and finally some waders. The first birds I saw were some Little Ringed plovers with some little chicks which was very nice to see as it was the first time I had seen LRP chicks and it confirmed that they were breeding in the area. I then saw a Common Sandpiper which is a moderately rare bird in Essex as they only really occur as passage migrants. But to my surprise there was not just one Common Sandpiper, 6 of them soon emerged.
And then the bird of the day appeared, a stunning Wood Sandpiper, only the 3rd one I have ever seen( This wasn't a self found, the bird was found yesterday).
Other good birds seen were some yellow wagtails, a few linnets, a few lapwings displaying, Sand Martin, House Martin, Swift, Swallow, two Red-legged Partridge and a few whitethroats. So all in all a very good day with 4 year listers seen: Yellow Wagtail, Little Ringed Plover(The first year I have seen this species before Ringed Plover), Common Sandpiper and Not forgetting the Wood sandpiper.
Sadly I didn't take any photos because of the rain and the birds were quite far away.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hadden,

    You have a really nice blog here, some stunning photos and a really good read. I am also a young birder (17 years old) and came across your blog via BF. I occasionally bird in Essex as I have some friends there so its great to hear about some local patch birding from the county and especially from another young birder - it's quietly a fantastic county for birds. Also many congratulations on your Glossy Ibis and Caspo finds - superb stuff.

    I'm following your blog on blogspot and have also linked your blog on my blog. If you're interested in doing likewise my blog is here:

    http://aberdeenshireyoungbirder.wordpress.com/

    Keep up the fantastic photography and all the best,

    Joseph Nichols (aged 17)

    ReplyDelete